top of page
Basilica B' - Bishop Elpidios
Situated next to the national highway to Volos at the foot of Acropolis.
It is a three-nave basilica with vestibule, yard and additional buildings. It has been brought into light from 1928-1929. Additional excavations have been taking place in 1960 and 1972.
The sanctuary has been kept in very good condition. The first construction of the building is aged the 5th century a.C. but it seems to have reconstruction later on.
The name of the basilica has been given by a epigraph referring the name Bishop Elpidius (first half of the 6th century)