54073867.jpg

Archaeological Findings

Basilica A' - Agios Demetrios
It is situated southeast of the today's main market on the national highway. The excavation started in 1924 and has been terminated in 1928. Basilica A' is a three-nave one with vestibule, yard and additional buildings. Characteristic though is the forming of the yard and the buildings surrounding the Basilica, as well as of the baptistery and the vestry. The floors were covered with flat stones out of marble and mosaics. Additional excavations (in 1972 and1973) have brought into light the yard and the buildings south, east and north of the basilica. ​ The name of the basilica has been beard out of a floor mosaic epigraph of the baptistery were it is written «Saint Dimitrios». Chronology: 2nd half of the 5th century a.C. Under heated bath of the 5th century a.C., northwest of the basilica. Private mansion of the 5th century a.C., 50 m. north of the basilica Stone covered boulevard with colonnade and shops east of the basilica Cemetery with family and private graves north east of the basilica Under heated bath south of the same basilica Wrestling ring and gymnasium south of the southern baths
Show More
Αρχαία Πύρασος
Φθιώτιδες Θήβες
Αρχαιολογικά Ευρήματα
Νεότερη Ιστορία
Θέατρο Μικροθηβών
ΔΙΑΖΩΜΑ
Show More
Official Member Of

Union of Sanitary Interest Businesses of Nea Anchialos

 

47, Eleftherias Str. ● 37400, Nea Anchialos ● Volos ● Greece

Tel: +30 24280 78780 ● Fax: +30 24280 77551

Email: enosi@anchialos.com

© 2015-2020

by Union of Sanitary Interest Businesses of Nea Anchialos

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now